It’s that time of year that car thefts seem to be on the rise. Help avoid your car being stolen by following these tips.
The best bet is to keep your vehicle in a locked garage. But for some people, this may not be an option. If you have to keep your vehicle parked outside, start by parking it in your driveway. If your vehicle is front wheel drive, park front end first, and if your vehicle is rear-wheel drive, back into your driveway. This makes it harder to thieves to tow your vehicle. If you have to park in the street, park in a well-lit, highly trafficked area, but make sure you’re following the posted rules. Turning your wheels towards the curb, using your emergency brake, and parking in between other vehicles can also make it harder for your vehicle to be towed away.
When leaving your vehicle, always roll up all your windows and lock the doors, even if you are just leaving it for a few minutes. Also, try to avoid leaving your vehicle unattended for an extended period of time, but if you have to, make sure you park in an attended, well-lit lot.
While locking your vehicle or leaving it in a well-lit area can certainly help prevent auto theft, you may want increase your peace of mind by purchasing an anti-theft device. Many different types are available, and it’s easy to find one that fits your budget and needs. Some of the more common anti-theft devices include:
- Electronic security systems
- Steering wheel and column locks
- Ignition kill switches
- Fuel kill switches
- Locks for the floor board, gear shift, tires/wheels or hood
- Vehicle tracking systems
Whatever type of anti-theft device you choose, make sure that it is installed properly. Otherwise, you may risk damaging the device or your vehicle. Hire an alarm installation professional to do the work for you. Also, consider etching the vehicle information number (VIN) into different parts on the vehicle, as this makes it easier to trace stolen automobiles/parts.
To protect your automobile from theft, always use common sense. Don’t leave the car running unattended with the keys in the ignition. Don’t hide a spare set of ignition keys in the glove box, or within close proximity to the vehicle. Don’t leave personal identification documents like titles or credit cards in your vehicle. Don’t keep valuables in plain sight in your vehicle. And if you park using a valet, or leave your keys with an attendant, make sure you only leave the key to the vehicle.
If Your Vehicle Is Stolen
Unfortunately vehicles are stolen all the time in this country. If you become the victim of auto theft contact the police first. Make sure you know as much of the following information as possible:
- Year, make, model, and color of your vehicle
- License plate number
- Approximate time of the theft
- Location where the vehicle was parked
- Names of eye witnesses (if there are any)
Next, inform your insurance company that your vehicle was stolen. Have your policy number on hand when you call.
Insure Your Investment
In addition to being confident that you are doing what you can to protect your vehicle; it’s important that you have the right insurance. Not all automobiles are the same and neither are all automobile policies. You need an insurance policy that offers the coverages that are important to you when you’re behind the wheel.
Here’s what a new DISTINCTCHOICE Auto policy can offer you:
- Security and Peace of Mind. Foremost has experience with the kind of insurance you want. Foremost has been in business since 1952 and has a long, solid history of providing superior value to our customers.
- Coverage Essentials. A Foremost policy provides the coverage you want for your vehicle and the drivers, including medical payments and permissive user.
- Additional Coverages. A Foremost policy recognizes that every driver is different and offers additional coverages, like loan or lease coverage and rental reimbursement, so you can tailor your policy to fit your lifestyle.
- Choice of Payment Plans and Deductibles. A Foremost policy offers flexibility, like being able to choose from different deductible levels and payment plans. This allows you to choose when you want to pay and helps make your premium payments affordable.
Doing Business With Your Insurance Company
When you have a loss, it’s an inconvenience, and you want it to be taken care of quickly and efficiently by adjusters who are courteous, helpful and knowledgeable. The new DISTINCTCHOICE Auto policy is backed by expert claims service that will get you back on the road quickly and fairly in the event of a loss.
Source: Foremost Insurance Group